Home Galleries Educational Resources
Advanced Search

Bricklin Specifications, Bricklin Vehicle CorporationObject number: Bricklin-F1-2(1)
Gallery: Transportation
Object Name: press release
Title: Bricklin Specifications, Bricklin Vehicle Corporation
Date: c. 1974
Dimensions: overall: 27.5 x 21 cm
Credit Line: Bricklin Vehicle Corporation Collection
Notes: Manchester Robertson Allison, more commonly known as ‘MRAs’ to Saint John, N.B. citizens, was a dry goods and general merchandise established by James Manchester, James F. Robertson and Joseph Allison in 1866. James Manchester, a native of Manchester England, emigrated to Saint John in 1855 where he worked at three dry goods merchants before starting his own business in 1866. James Robertson, born in Saint John, also worked at two dry goods firms before joining his partners Manchester and Allison. Joseph Allison, (b.Nova Scotia), like his partners had worked with local dry goods retailers prior to joining the firm. The partners opened their business on April 3, 1866 in premises on Prince William with staff consisting of the three partners, a clerk and two boys. The firm grew requiring more space so they moved to larger premises at Market Square (foot King) then moved once again in 1873 to additional premises on King Street. The firm located at 27-29 King Street sold general dry goods; carpet and house furnishings at 31-43 King Street; and furniture at 13-17 Market Square. MRAs also stocked clothing and millinery Over the years buildings were purchased by the firm when additional space was required. The firm closed its wholesale department and changed from a private company to a corporation in 1928. The Tea Room was added the following year. In 1973, Manchester Robertson Allison closed after 107 years in business. It had been one of the leading department stores in the Maritimes with representatives in Halifax and Sydney, Nova Scotia and Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. The closure of MRAs preceded the demolition of the entire block on King, Germain, and Prince William Streets to make way for the construction of Brunswick Square, an office, hotel and retail complex.

City Map | Credits | Copyright | Contact Us | Links | Site Map | Museum | Français
© New Brunswick Museum / Musée du Nouveau-Brunswick 2007