Public Spaces
Home Galleries Educational Resources
Advanced Search

Interior of Centenary Queen Square Church, Showing Chancel, Princess Street, Saint John, New BrunswickObject number: 1989-83-546
Gallery: Public Spaces
Object Name: photograph
Title: Interior of Centenary Queen Square Church, Showing Chancel, Princess Street, Saint John, New Brunswick
Artist: Louis Merritt Harrison
Date: c. 1940
Medium: silver print
Dimensions: overall: 24.1 x 19.4 cm
Credit Line: Louis Merritt Harrison Collection
Notes: The Centenary Queen Square United Church was formerly Centenary Queen Square United (Methodist) Church. The first Methodist service was held in 1791 at the home of John and Cynthia Kelly. By 1808, the Methodist Society occupied premises on the east side of Germain Street (between Duke and Queen Streets). The Germain Street Chapel was dedicated that same year. Four main churches were established from this chapel: Exmouth Street Church, closing in 1977; Queen Square Church and Centenary Church, amalgamated in 1939 with the Carmarthen Street Church joining them in 1957. All four churches became part of the United Church after 1925. The present Queen Square Centenary building was constructed in 1882 on Princess Street, with seating for 1400 people. A new Letourneau organ was installed in 1985. Due to the declining number of people in the congregation, the church was sold in 1998, with the congregation relocating to 215 Wentworth Street, for their worship services.


City Map | Credits | Copyright | Contact Us | Links | Site Map | Museum | Franšais
© New Brunswick Museum / Musée du Nouveau-Brunswick 2007