Public Spaces
Home Galleries Educational Resources
Advanced Search

Fernhill Cemetery, Westmorland Road, Saint John, New BrunswickObject number: Carre-Pt8-Plate6
Gallery: Public Spaces
Object Name: photograph
Title: Fernhill Cemetery, Westmorland Road, Saint John, New Brunswick
Artist: William H. Carre
Date: 1899
Medium: collotype
Dimensions: overall: 14 x 21 cm
Credit Line: Publication "Art Work on City of Saint John, New Brunswick"
Notes: Fernhill Cemetery is one of the largest cemeteries in Eastern Canada. It opened in 1848 as the Rural Cemetery Company with 110 acres of land, with additional land acquired in 1849, 1852, and 1897. The first burial recorded took place on 8 March 1849. Congregation Shaarei Zedek opened a small cemetery in 1873, that is part of Fernhill. The receiving tomb and chapel were built in 1911, with the crematorium built in 1938, the only one in the Maritimes at that time. The name of the cemetery changed to Fernhill in 1911.


City Map | Credits | Copyright | Contact Us | Links | Site Map | Museum | Franšais
© New Brunswick Museum / Musée du Nouveau-Brunswick 2007