Saint John and It's Business
Home Galleries Educational Resources
Advanced Search

St. PhilipObject number: Colwell-Book3-pg59
Gallery: Saint John and It's Business
Object Name: photograph
Title: St. Philip's African Methodist Episcopal Church, Saint John, New Brunswick
Artist: Allison Montrose Colwell
Date: c. 1925
Medium: silver print
Credit Line: Allison Montrose Colwell fonds
Notes: St. Philip's African Methodist Episcopal Church was located on the corner of Pitt and Queen Street. The church was organized in 1859 and an enlarged structure was built in 1870. A new building was purchased in 1940 on the corner of Carmarthen and St. James Street. The old church was demolished in 1942. The Queen Street School (formerly Primary School No. 17) was located in the second storey of the church. The school was discontinued around 1910.


City Map | Credits | Copyright | Contact Us | Links | Site Map | Museum | Franšais
© New Brunswick Museum / Musée du Nouveau-Brunswick 2007