Neighbourhoods
Home Galleries Educational Resources
Advanced Search

Front View of ReedObject number: X13549
Gallery: Neighbourhoods
Object Name: postcard
Title: Front View of Reed's Castle, Saint John, New Brunswick
Date: c. 1900
Medium: colour collotype on card
Dimensions: overall: 8.8 x 13.8 cm
Credit Line: New Brunswick Museum Collection
Notes: Reed's Castle was built in 1854 by Robert Reed, a prominent ship builder of the famous Black Ball Line of clipper freight carriers between Saint John, Liverpool and the southern United States. Used for his residence for many years, he found the structure too large and moved to a cottage on his grounds. Mr. Reed went to considerable expense to convert his home into a summer hotel. This scheme failed to work, resulting in the sale of Reed's castle, in 1890, to the Religious of the Sacred Heart to be used as a residence and a school.


City Map | Credits | Copyright | Contact Us | Links | Site Map | Museum | Franšais
© New Brunswick Museum / Musée du Nouveau-Brunswick 2007