Public Spaces
Home Galleries Educational Resources
Advanced Search

University of New Brunswick Saint John, Tucker Park, Saint John, New BrunswickObject number: X13546
Gallery: Public Spaces
Object Name: postcard
Title: University of New Brunswick Saint John, Tucker Park, Saint John, New Brunswick
Artist: Willard Stackhouse
Date: c. 1974
Medium: colour letterpress halftone on card
Dimensions: overall: 8.7 x 13.9 cm
Credit Line: New Brunswick Museum Collection
Notes: In 1959, a committee chaired by Ernest Whitebone, a Parish of Simonds councilor and an educator, was established by the Saint John Board of Trade to press for a university in Saint John. There was skepticism in the community that a university in Saint John was not viable. Opposition to the establishment of yet another post-secondary institution in the region arose. There were extension courses offered by UNB available for the public at Beaverbrook House in central Saint John however the Board of Trade Committee insisted city needed a full campus. Suggestions of a satellite university or the establishment of a ‘junior college’ might be the solution. It was not until 1964 that the first two years of a degree program were available to local students with courses taking place at the Beaverbrook House. A site for the proposed campus was acquired from the city at Tucker Park in the Millidgeville area. The university opened for classes in 1969.

City Map | Credits | Copyright | Contact Us | Links | Site Map | Museum | Français
© New Brunswick Museum / Musée du Nouveau-Brunswick 2007