Home Galleries Educational Resources
Advanced Search

Airport Seaplane Base, Millidgeville, Saint John, New BrunswickObject number: X12496
Gallery: Transportation
Object Name: photograph
Title: Airport Seaplane Base, Millidgeville, Saint John, New Brunswick
Date: 1929
Medium: silver print, mounted on card
Dimensions: overall: 17.4 x 26.2 cm
Credit Line: New Brunswick Museum Collection
Notes: The Millidgeville airport was located in the vicinity of present day Daniel Avenue, Millidge Avenue, Boar’s Head Road and the Air Canada Call Centre on Woodward Avenue. This airport opened between 1929 or 1930 as a federal relief project. During the 1930s, the Millidgeville airport earned an international reputation when its facilities were used by several aviators of the day who stopped there enroute across the Atlantic. Amelia Earhart, a noted American aviation pioneer, stopped at this airport in 1932. The Millidgeville airport closed in 1951 when the new airport at Clover Valley at Loch Lomond opened.

City Map | Credits | Copyright | Contact Us | Links | Site Map | Museum | Français
© New Brunswick Museum / Musée du Nouveau-Brunswick 2007