Home Galleries Educational Resources
Advanced Search

Jewett Brothers, West Head Saw Mill, Saint John, New BrunswickObject number: 14083.2
Gallery: Industry
Object Name: photograph
Title: Jewett Brothers, West Head Saw Mill, Saint John, New Brunswick
Date: c. 1865
Medium: albumen print, mounted on card
Dimensions: overall: 18.1 x 21.5 cm
Credit Line: Gift of Cecelia Jessie Hilyard, 1930
Notes: E.L. Jewett’s Mill, located in what is now Millidgeville, operated for several years. It manufactured long lumber, shingles and lath at the mill and shipped the products from the wharves by schooners to Boston, New York and other American centres. As many as ninety men were employed by Jewett’s Mill, from spring to fall, when work volumes warranted it. During repairs to a chimney were being done, it collapsed killing three workers on May 17, 1901. The mill was dismantled after this tragedy.

City Map | Credits | Copyright | Contact Us | Links | Site Map | Museum | Français
© New Brunswick Museum / Musée du Nouveau-Brunswick 2007