Home Galleries Educational Resources
Advanced Search

D. McLauchlinObject number: 1989.181.58
Gallery: Neighbourhoods
Object Name: negative
Title: D. McLauchlin's House, Crouchville, East Saint John, New Brunswick
Artist: Frederick Doig
Date: c. 1898
Medium: glass dryplate negative
Dimensions: overall: 10.1 x 12.6 cm
Credit Line: Gift of James F. Doig, 1980
Notes: Crouchville was the original name for the East Saint John district. This area originally belonged to Richard Riggs, a brick manufacturer who sold it to Joseph Crouch, for whom it’s named, as farmland. Joseph Crouch lived in the homestead on Mount Pleasant Avenue East, but since the land was too rocky to farm, he decided to subdivide the land to sell and , planned to have a grand lottery at $40.00 a ticket, with the choice ticket being the Crouch homestead. Joseph Crouch fell ill and died before the arrangements were completed. His widow then sold the property as building properties.

City Map | Credits | Copyright | Contact Us | Links | Site Map | Museum | Français
© New Brunswick Museum / Musée du Nouveau-Brunswick 2007